Click on Image to View the Full Size (10MB)
Feel free to download, forward, print or share with others. It’s really interesting.
As part of the full design for Jordan Rubin’s Heal the Planet Farm in Koshkonong, MO, we will be creating a demonstration food-forest walk consisting of 6-distinct plant guilds, all designed by Midwest Permaculture’s official plant guy and co-author of Integrated Forest Gardening, Bryce Ruddock. We thought you might like to take a closer look at the final design sketch which was digitally crafted by our fellow teacher/designer, Milton Dixon.
The earthworks and tree planting are scheduled to happen either this fall or in spring of 2016. We’ll keep you posted.
Below is the overview image of where the guild fit into the larger Zone 1 area.
Bill Wilson Continue reading “Plant Guild Designs for ‘Heal the Planet Farm’, Missouri”
Hayden and Mary-Kate moving the chicken tractors along. Wherever this goes, a rich layer of chicken ‘compost’ is left in its wake for any young trees or shrubs to be planted behind it.
We have a few seats remaining in our upcoming Internship Sessions
During their first 8-days, our interns immersed themselves in:
A Full Day with Bryce Ruddock
Author of the Plant Guilds e-Booklet
Next Scheduled Workshop — Spring 2016 — Check back for date
Price: $95.00 Includes Lunch and printed copy of the Plant Guilds eBooklet ($20 value)
At Midwest Permaculture in Stelle, IL (Limit 24 Students)
Bryce will Cover the Essentials:
- What is a Plant Guild
- What are the Key Elements
- What are the Functions we are Designing For
- What, Where & When Should we Plant
- How Plant Guilds make up a Food Forest
- Locating Key Plant Databases and How to Access Them online
- Sources for Good Plant Stock
Students Will Also:
- On Walk — Identity Naturally Formed Plant Guilds
- See Plant Guilds Created by Midwest Permaculture
- Help Design and Actually Plant a Guild with Bryce
Bring Your Gloves…!!!
Private Consultations with Bryce… If you have a specific project and would like Bryce’s undivided attention and recommendations, we will set a few private, 1-hour appointments on Saturday evening and Sunday Morning. Call ahead to reserve… or… seek out Bryce following the workshop should you feel you still need additional assistance. Price: $95.00/hr.
Continue reading “Plant Guild Workshop”
Why Wood Gasification is part of This Permaculture Design
Wood Gasification is the process of converting wood (any kind of scraps or trimmings) into flammable gasses by burning it at very high temperatures in an oxygen starved environment. These gasses, once cooled and cleaned of tars, can be piped directly into an internal combustion engine as a fuel substitute for gasoline…!!!
We have designed in the use of wood gasification units for:
- Running trucks, tractors and other vehicles and machinery
- Generating heat and electricity in the winter for greenhouses and homes
- Being able to harvest the energy from sunlight stored in woody plants, from our own land
- Using the waste product, biochar, to increase the fertility of our gardens and food forests which will also be pulling excess Co2 out of the atmosphere and locking it up
And the wood gasification units burn much, much cleaner than wood stoves because of the high temperatures. They actually burn off almost all of the smoke and gasses, turning even these into additional energy.
Truck Runs on Woodgas
Continue reading “Wood Gasification”